Scholarship of Learning and Teaching
Teaching excellence and the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning - Excerpt from the T&L Handbook
The Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SoTL) for Curtin is systematic inquiry, critique, research and development in teaching, learning and the broader educational context which advances and publicly provides educational benefit to students, staff and the higher education sector.
Applicants for promotion at Curtin in addressing the Teaching and Learning criterion are expected to be engaged in scholarship in teaching and learning and to demonstrate evidence of peer review e.g. publications, competitive grants and awards.
Teachers engaging in scholarship in teaching and learning seek to improve teaching at the tertiary level by:
- Consulting and applying the literature on teaching and learning
- Investigating their own teaching
- Adopting innovative teaching approaches
- Formally communicating their ideas and practice to peers through publication and other formal means; and
- Seeking and obtaining peer recognition for their ideas and practice.
Curtin Learning and Teaching offers support and assistance to staff engaged in the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning including:
- Faculty awards for teaching excellence
- Curtin Awards for Excellence and Innovation in Teaching (EIT)
- Australian Awards for University Teaching (AAUT)
- Australian Government Office for Learning and Teaching Grants Program
- Australian Government Office for Learning and Teaching Fellowships Program
- Research in higher education
- Publication in learning and teaching journals and conference presentations