|Teaching and Learning Forum 2002 [ Proceedings Contents ]|
learning-centred evaluation framework evaluation computer-facilitated learning proposal This roundtable session will discuss four distinct evaluations of student learning arising from four, very different applications of information and communications technology (ICT) in four different subject areas.
The common factor in each evaluation study was the use of the Learning-Centred Evaluation Framework described in Phillips, Bain, McNaught, Rice, & Tripp (2000) and Bain (1999). This framework, derived from earlier work by Alexander & Hedberg (1994), has four main characteristics:
The four projects to be discussed arose, directly or indirectly, from a 1999 CUTSD staff development grant about Evaluation of Technology-based Teaching Development Projects.
- it presumes that evaluation will occur in each of the major phases of an educational development project (design, development, implementation, and institutionalisation);
- it focusses attention on three aspects of learning:
- the learning environment (where people learn, or the ICT innovation);
- the learning process (how people learn)
- the learning outcome (what people learn)
- it encourages evaluators to frame appropriate and answerable evaluation questions;
- it outlines the types of evidence and methods that may be appropriate for each question.
The roundtable will briefly describe the evaluation framework and the individual projects, and the discussion will focus around the issues involved in planning and carrying out such evaluations, and what can be learnt from them. As one participant lecturer stated "we never really know how effective we are in our teaching... we really have no idea about our students understandings".
- Interactive Stories
- Animal Behaviour
- Plant Diversity
- Veterbrate Anatomy and Physiology
|Contact person: Rob Phillips, Educational Designer, Teaching and Learning Centre, Murdoch University. firstname.lastname@example.org
Presentation format: Roundtable
Please cite as: Phillips, R., Fardon, M., Valdrighi, M., Baudains, C., van Keulen, M., Hodge, A. and Walters, M. (2002). Design and implementation of learning centred evaluations of computer facilitated learning innovations. In Focusing on the Student. Proceedings of the 11th Annual Teaching Learning Forum, 5-6 February 2002. Perth: Edith Cowan University. http://lsn.curtin.edu.au/tlf/tlf2002/abstracts/phillips-abs.html